Refrigeration Revolution

*In light of the deepening dark of world events and countless personal stories with challenges of tremendous proportions, I thought I would do what comes most naturally in response: Compose a post that has nothing but the most trivial of content, allowing the reader a space to visit which will leave them virtually unchanged. What can I say? It's a gift.


Confession: I have this tiny, but firm little fear that, because we do not have cable, unbeknownst to me a new reality show will be created called "ReGURGITation Nation: Gutting out America's Worst Refrigerators One House At A Time" and that somehow they'll get wind of my fridge, showing up unexpected some random Tuesday morning at my front door with camera crews trampling through our playroom, into the kitchen and behind the magnet-and-juvenile-art-display. And there I'll stand in my too-short, too-tight yoga pants and white socks with black slippers, defenseless against the soon-to-be very public disgrace that is my crusty modern 'ice(andbacteria) box'.


This Saturday morning, I took charge of my possible and highly unlikely reality-TV destiny and for the first time since Will and Kate said "I do", my creamer's can see their own reflection! No longer do I tremble in fear when I hear a knock at the front door (not for this reason anyway!).



Look at that! The Ricotta cheese and Concord Grape Juice exchanging pleasantries, no longer ashamed to be refrigerator mates in formerly-squalid conditions. Gunk from 2009 was removed with a scrub brush under the produce drawers and items like containers of spare pizza sauce, enough for a mouse-sized pizza and the moldy sweet bologna, forgotten at the back of the cheese drawer were swiftly eradicated from the scene.I could have sworn I heard refrains of the Halleluiah chorus coming from the rafters of the Amana.




And all this, looking like a million bucks in my flannels, tossing cheese sticks to pacify the children coming in from the outside to tattle on one sibling or another for various minor offenses ("He tried to saw your leg off? So sorry. Here, have a cheese stick and go work it out!"). My husband was at a local fireman's auction, threatening to bid on a small pig, and I was left to watch all the children while revolutionizing my refrigerator. There were enough minor stress points to make this a big accomplishment in my weekend.



I felt like I had taken back a little bit of control of my domestic domain by accomplishing what, to many, is a weekly occurrence. I have a friend, Treather Troenwater*, and EVERY. SINGLE. TIME I am at her home, when I open her SPOTLESS fridge to set something in it, I breathe a quick prayer that she'll never have reason to open mine.(*name has been changed to protect the innocent). Friendships have dissipated over lesser offenses.


There you have it.
Possibly the most pitiful blog entry ever.
No doubt on Pinterest they have a hundred and one different ideas for decorating the interior and exterior on your refrigerator.
Come to the Coffee Cottage for assurance that not only are there those who don't decorate it, but those for which the cleaning of it is so rare, but so gratifying, 
they can't help but post about it.


It's the little things....
What was your best accomplishment this weekend?
(and please, go easy on me...don't tell me you remodeled your entire second floor. Keep that to yourself please. I'm too fragile...)

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to "fetch something" (read: admire my handiwork) in the fridge. Again.



Comments

Lindsay said…
I scrubbed my kitchen baseboards which probably haven't been touched since we moved in x years ago. Talk about layers of grime! My goofiness our baseboards are white...

Popular Posts