Divine Relief: Right On (at) Target





His cell phone rang the ringtone that belongs to his lover.
He steps out of the conference room, walking towards the end of the hallway where there is better coverage. He answers and hears the normal zoo-like commotion in the background. Her low, breathless voice cuts through to say "Hey, Hon. I've been having this fantasy all day and it involves you".

He's liking the unusual way conversation is starting. He takes a few steps further from the conference room door. "Do tell", he asks eagerly.

"Here it is: When you walk through the back door tonight, I want to give you a good, sound kiss on my way out of it. You can expect me back long after you have tucked the children in for the night. Don't worry, I'll have them already in their jammies and dinner on the table. All you have to do is play and tuck them in."

During that short conversation, her voice had managed to take the form of ice. cold. water. Yet, being the Husband of the Year material that he is, he agreed that it had been a while since she had been able to make a solo escape and that he would be happy to oblige her. Some men are smart enough to how to get what they want. Fortunately, I am married to one.


But this post isn't about fulfilled (or unfulfilled) fantasies. It is about showings of God's care and kindness, in the small stuff of life.


***

I cannot quite pinpoint when in my life the definition of "luxury" was broadened to include sitting in a banged up minivan outside of Target on a rainy night, playing Words with Friends and dunking my Waffle Fries and Chicken Sandwich in Chik-Fil-A's original sauce. It used to be Spa treatments and a day away at the beach. However, this season of life has afforded me little opportunity to be picky and plenty of opportunities for God to show He cares by the moments He provides relief for my weary mind. I simply need to keep my eyes open for them, and not fixated on what "big forms of relief" I think I need (and avoiding all form of parties of the "pity" sort).

Not only did I enjoy a hot dinner in silence last night, but as I sat chomping on chicken by the red glow of Target's bull's eye, I listened to the sound of the rain while anticipating a leisurely stroll through one of the most dangerous-to-the-common-person's-household-budget stores in this great land. What I did not know, is that God had yet another treat tucked in the aisles of Target awaiting me. As the rain pelted harder on the dented Sienna's roof,  I licked off my fingers, gathered up the fast food wrappers and slapped on a little lipstick so at least I would look like a female drowned rat upon entering the dangerous store.

In the children aisle is where I stumbled upon my Divine surprise: A FREE THERAPY SESSION! For probably no less than forty minutes, I emoted to a friend I haven't seen for years who also has five children, with twins as her last two as well. They are all a bit older than mine, but as I texted her later last night "It is always nice to talk to another deep in the trenches of motherhood...but it's especially refreshing to talk with someone whose trench has looked so similar to that of your own!". She assured me it DOES get easier and I nearly hugged her for it.

Ok. I give up.

As I type, a twin is struggling to get on my lap, another is jumping on the electric cord in which the light is attached that is making the ending of this post a struggle that will not leave the reader with a poetic ending and me with the satisfaction of a dovetailed closing.

Thus, let me just say that I am grateful to God for the small surprises He tucks in and the small escapes He allows us at the just the right time. I raise my lukewarm coffee to Him in thanks for His new mercies  that are afresh every morning and every night...and each moment in between. Look for them. They are there (just maybe not at the Spa).





Comments

Popular Posts