Early Rising...



Good Morning!

The alarm rang bright and early this morning (five o'clock to be exact). I actually got out of bed, turned it off and DID NOT GO BACK TO BED! Hip Hip Hooray for small triumphs!
I donned my sports bra from 1992 (the elastic is surprisingly taut..or maybe not so much since I've only worn it five times since then), my t-shirt, shorts and a hat. I brushed my teeth, tied my sneakers and apologized to my husband for the firm whack he got on his bum in the middle of the night while I was dreaming about spanking children (seriously).In the darkness, I slipped out the back door, let myself out of the gate and briskly walked down to my dear friend's place just a few houses down.

Yesterday she was cleaning her windows as I walked by with the twins, and in the course of conversation that ensued, we both found we wanted to a.) get more exercise and b.) get up earlier...and for me, it helps to have some one waiting for me to do so!It was decided I would come to her back door at 5:15am, and off we would go.
So off we went!

I am quite encouraged. Delighted, really. I came back and squeezed in a shower! This might mean no fruit flies swarming around me today! I am hopeful that perhaps this will become a happy little habit amongst us.

I was not surprised that my eldest was already up when I got back 30 minutes later. He was followed by the two other early risers. This makes three offspring who have inherited my mother's (and grandmother, and great-grandmother) genetic disposition to automatically arise just a few moments before the sun starts to think about it. The other two savor sweet sleep, like I would if I could. There is no putting the three back to bed, and so I give them a nice breakfast appetizer (such as a banana) and stick them in front of Veggie Tales.



"The early bird gets the worm"...or so they say!
Speaking of bird, I would like to take a moment to publicly thank my mother for the charming bird whistles she bought my daughter's at the Amish Dry Good's Store yesterday.
What a blessing their screeching, high pitched 'chirps' are!
As a "Thank You" from the very bottom cockles of my heart, I am on the search for a CD that plays fingernails scratching on a chalkboard (with a light piano instrumental in the background) JUST. FOR. YOU!
It's the least I could do, mom...no need to thank.


They are now all awake, asking for 'sprinkle pancakes' (pancakes with sprinkles on them, in case you're needing clarification) and I was silly enough to agree to them.
I am starting to see that I  might not be the only one to benefit from rising before the sun!


Blessings to you, my friend. I want to leave you with a recently read quote in which I found comfort and peace....



"Life is manageable in the moment.
Don't worry about what was or what will be.
God gives you grace for the moment."
~Mary Graham

Comments

Popular Posts