SomeOne Sees

About three weeks ago, knee deep in tending to teething twins and rainy days on end,
I was asked by a vibrant woman in my life to attend a women's retreat along the Chesapeake Bay with her. The timely request that offered reprieve from my increasingly wearisome "career" was akin to seeing the glow of a lighthouse through the dense fog of frustration and upon making arrangements, I quickly said, "YES! I am coming!".

The prospect of escaping got me through the next week, and through the doctor's visit that involved two screaming boys and one two year old climbing the walls while we waited for 20 minutes (which is equivalent  2 years in 'crying time') for the doctor to come in and tell me the boys had Hand, Foot and Mouth (never has anything made them so miserable). The anticipation of having an entire 2 days to myself propelled me through the effects of such a condition, countless poopy diapers, crusty dishes and clumps of laundry that waited patiently for me to tuck the children in at the end of every day and moments where I thought I surely could not keep doing it anymore.

Friday morning, the day of my escape, dawned bright and fair. Everyone had slept in (7AM) and I was thinking all was looking good for a smooth departure. That is, until my little two year old daughter woke up and was M-i-s-e-r-a-b-l-e with, you guessed it, Hand, Foot and Mouth. I knew she had had it the day before, but seemed to be handling it better than the boys. Not on Friday morning...and over her loud crying, I called my sweet friend and told her that I simply did not have a peace about leaving her as she was...and my husband with the added demands of four immensely busy children and one absolutely needy one.

Thus, no escape.
I was disappointed. Disappointed to not be able to get away...and yet, I felt a total peace about staying on the homefront. I could not have truly enjoyed myself knowing (or not knowing!) that I had left such a miserable little sensitive girl at home. I did my best to move on and know that someday, perhaps, reprieve will come.

Indeed, God saw. 
He always sees.
He always cares.
Nothing is ever to insignificant
to pass through His watchful eyes.

The 'promise' of retreat was not the actual retreat He had in mind for this time.
Instead, it came in form of an evening with three tremendous women, who I am honored to call friends...and cousins! It occurred two nights ago.

Wednesday night was a gift wrapped up by a loving Father who is very acquainted with how weary this little mama is...and I thank Him for it with all my heart!

Several weeks ago, one of my cousins suggested a girl's night out, and after a flurry of exchanging possible dates, we came upon the 25th of May. Another cousin said suggested we meet at her parent's house, as they would graciously lend us their convertible and she could take us to a surprise destination (her favorite restaurant about 40 minutes away).

I. Could. Not. Wait.
It was not a long weekend away, but it was enough to get me through,
and to tangibly remind me that God does care enough to sprinkle a special event 
with special women at the VERY SAME AREA where I was to go on the women's retreat I never went on. How thoughtful He is!

I took a few snapshots of the evening if you care to take a gander...









It was such a refreshing night away. I came back feeling human. Laughter had lightened my tired heart and I knew I had packed away some precious memories.
(Unfortunately, after my day yesterday, I am already ready for the next such reprieve! That 'refreshed and ready to go' feeling doesn't last particularly long for me. I need to learn how to stretch it out...)

My friend, whatever you are facing today, whether it be the strain and strenuous workload of mothering or waiting for the seemingly impossible or in a truly dire situation...
I sincerely pray that your eyes will be opened to a Heaven-sent gift of tangible care that
God sends to you. Even if it's just a whiff of your favorite flower...or a coupon for a free coffee that you find on the sidewalk..whatever! 
May you know you are cared about. loved.watched over.
May you be refreshed by that knowing.

Comments

Popular Posts