Lifted by Love.

 This morning I was putting on my makeup,
going over my day yesterday
and the difference it had made.
I have been weary,
discouraged and
feeling over extended
in my mothering.
Feeling a little like the water
I have been treading was
about to overtake me,
even though I have
so many "advantages" (ie: helpful husband,
mother and friends) 
that many live without.
Even when your mind knows
you have 'plenty',
the well of your heart
can still feel without.
There are times that is selfishness,
and there are other times
when it must be considered that
an 'indicator light' has flipped on, a signal 
that a reprieve of sorts is necessary.
I've been asking God for one for
a while now...
not even consciencely,
but there has been a growing need to come apart
from all my wonderful, precious children.
I need to 'catch my breath' before I go under.
For me. For them. 
Yesterday, in many little ways,
I was lifted by Love.


***

I love old hymns. There is a majesty and depth to them that is missing from today's Christian music (even there is nothing 'wrong' with the newer!). That is why I was so delighted that my Father selected this song and pushed 'play' in my mind this morning. 
Allow me to adapt it's more 'old-time revival' theme to a more personal rendition that reflects my life-or perhaps yours- at this moment.


I was sinking deep in sin 
 (or, enduring the crazy busy pace and a relentless selflessness that is mothering...waiting for what others have received or are receiving as you watch, without...living with prayers that keep going up without so much a single visible nod from Heaven...)

far from the peaceful shore,
 
Very deeply stained
(exhausted, discouraged) within, 
sinking to rise no more (seeing no light at the end of the tunnel, wondering how long life will go on this way, needing to come up for "air"),
 
But the Master of the sea, heard my despairing cry
(passing pleas, soulful prayer),
 
From the waters lifted me
( In HIS time, In His ways...for me, it was by the planting of a thought in my dear friend's mind who followed through by inviting me to a bay-side women's retreat (never been to one before!), a husband that tells me to "GO!",
a card in the mail from another thoughtful friend, an offer to bring a meal for the family, a reassuring conversation. There was no lottery win, no week long, all-expense trips to the Caribbean or spa days...but all these little, loving things provided by the "Master of the Sea" at the hands of my friends and family, were 'mini-life preservers', providing deep encouragement as they lightened the load of life!),  
now safe (refreshed, hopeful, encouraged, lighter in step) am I.


Love lifted me! Love lifted me!
When nothing else could help
Love lifted me!


All my heart to Him I give, ever to Him I’ll cling
In His blessèd presence live, ever His praises sing,
Love so mighty and so true, merits my soul’s best songs,
Faithful, loving service too, to Him belongs.


Souls in danger look above, Jesus completely saves,
He will lift you by His love, out of the angry waves.
He’s the Master of the sea, billows His will obey,
He your Savior wants to be, be saved today.


My prayer for you, my friend, is that today your heart experiences being 'lifted by love' - even if in the smallest of ways - in whatever circumstances you find yourself in, be it a big stress or the grind of daily living...

(And to leave you with a smile, here is a card I received recently from a treasured friend that left a big one on my face...)
 Thanks for stopping by the Coffee Cottage today!

Comments

Popular Posts