Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

Do you ever read words on a page, from a blog, in a magazine and all your mind can hear is the gargled sound that is emitted from Charlie Brown's teacher in Charlie Brown Christmas and then responded with the 'yadda yadda yadda' response of Elaine (Seinfeld)?
I do.


Words and pictures can be carefully crafted, at times with the precision of one carefully erecting a tower of playing cards, to portray the image one desires to present. Blog entries can be quick, and unlike a book, do not necessarily need background detail to be understood. Pictures...well, they tell stories of mostly the good times, the highs, the peaks, the pleasures, the pretty. Yet my life is so much more than that...has been...and will continue to be. I do not want to mislead with my words, limited though they be. I disdain the temptation to craft an image through pictures.
I hope it is not what is portrayed here.


I was going to start writing a few little observations about motherhood.
But then I remembered that I know pitifully little. And just about the second I think I've got a hold of some thing, just like that- POOF!- it changes.



Mothering children, while a general commonality among many women, is as unique a journey as the fingerprints of the children you call your own. What works for me, may not work for you. While I think there are worthwhile bites of wisdom to be chewed on from the written pages found at your local bookstore, I tend to discourage new mom's from reading too much. The author of that book that is leaving you anxious or expectant is not the parent of your child. It may or may not work (even if -brace yourself- it has been given the handstamp approval of Focus on the Family. God did not die and leave any one else or any organization but you in charge of your children).


I find that going to the Architect of my children's DNA is a most effective and precise way to obtain guidance on the individuals in my charge.


For example, my third child. She is smack dab in the middle of two sets of twins. The two above are 11.5 months apart, Irish twins we call them, and are turning into a pair of imaginative navigators. The two below sprung to life, shared a womb and now have an already evident bond that leaves even me out of the equation quite often. Her Creator, who knew of her placement in this family and bestowed her personality accordingly, is working with her rather slow mother to enlighten her to the needs of this wild child. Yes, I'm slow, but I am listening.
With her, it's occurring to me that I need to be her ally. Her fierce independence can mask a deeper need for affection, attention and affirmation. I need to give a little more to the one in the middle. That is what I'm hearing, not what I'm reading. If I had anything to share in as far as motherhood goes, that would be it:


Be slow to read, quick to ask and careful to listen. No one knows your child better than his or her Creator. It's tempting, as it s in various areas, to run to a popular author, conference or any thing that offers a tangible 'checklist' of the good we are doing by someone else. It satisfies a need in us to assume we are doing well, but it could possibly be the most ineffective way to achieve the means.
****


I took the picture below, of the top of my living room counter top. It is a commonplace pile. Mail, a diaper that lost it's way to the grocery bag hanging on the door knob, toys too little to be around army-crawling twins and ping pong paddles that were the 'toy' (and weaponry) of the day.
Call me desperate, but Penny's motto at top right hand corner caught my eye and left me a little inspired {but just a little. No tears. No light from Heaven}.

Do I dress my children daily?


Yes.
Always by 8pm, that day or the following.


Do they play with actual toys?


Yes.
For the first 5 minutes after receiving them.
Emptying out the shoe bin is somehow more attractive to them.

Do you let them use real tools?

Yes.
My husband does. Just not the power kind.

How do you effectively potty train?

Let me get back to you on the effective part in about 5 years. Or never.

As for training, it is not for the weak, and it leaves all parties involved quite exhausted.
Make sure there is plenty of pillows, patience, potpourri and extra panties laying around.
(although the patience is hard to find at times).



Do you try and teach your children manners?


YES! They are very important to me.
(along with approaching adults with respect, eye contact & answer what is asked of you).
However.
Life happens. There are times when dinner is so good, that it must be licked off and applied to one's hair. She considers it a compliment to the chef, especially when that particular chef has her back turned and is attuned to something or someone else.




If you need wisdom, ask our generous God,
and he will give it to you.
He will not rebuke you for asking.
-James 1:5


If you are a mama reading this, know that I am with you in this.
If you're striving, I'd gently suggest you stop.
Just ask.
Stop.
Look.
Listen.

You will be given what you need for the child in need.
Or for just yourself.

Comments

Marilou said…
Loved this, Jeane! It is SO true, HE is the ONLY One who can help us through those desperate moments, frustrating moments, moments you seriously consider eating your young. :) I dealt with it when they were young and i deal with it now when they are 15,19 and 21. And God is still faithful to answer and help. I cling to Jeremiah 33:3 as my "go to" verse..."Call out to HIM and He WILL answer you and show you GREAT and MIGHTY things you DO NOT KNOW!" which is basically everything! :) It is good to share these lessons learned with young moms in the thick of it all...He is all you need...well, Him and maybe a Frozen-Prozac-Vodka-Mocha-Valium-Cino! :) Love ya!
Shar said…
Thank you for your words...the days can be hard and even harder when I feel like I am the only mother "failing" in so many areas! Thank you for your honesty...it is refreshing and real. You are an inspiration to me! (And I am still hoping it works out for us to get together this summer?)
Marian said…
Thanks for the wonderful post...and most of all, the cute picture of your potty training cutie! Love it!!!
Debbie said…
Did I tell you that you're my hero?
I guess by the time we have all the answers and make the 'professional list, they have all grown and flown away. We learned some of what we know by the mistakes we made. Of course, when our kids have their own kids, we don't want to be 'butt-inskies' and ruin their experience of finding out first hand how hard it is to raise kids:) We just get to enjoy being grandparents now.
I think you are doing fine. Great in fact. Forget praying for all the answers; pray for stamina! Love the shoe closet picture.
:) Debbie
Jessica Smoke said…
Thank you for this! I have 3 kids (almosh 5, 3, & 1). I feel lost at times at what to do when. THank you for reminding me to look to God and seek His help!
Terri said…
Loved this post, Jeane...much of what we stress out when our children are young will never be remembered or cared about years later. Before we know it those little ones are not little any longer...trust me, it happens. Great advice to your young mommy-readers and those a little older, too! Our knees should have permanent bruising from all the laying we do at the feet of The Answer.
Since I am blessed enough to be on the sidelines looking in, at times stepping in, to your daily life, I have the very special privilege of daily(no actually moment by moment) prayer for you. That brings me great comfort,knowing He will provide strength and wisdom for the moments. If you are interested, I have some unique potty training stories myself to tell you:) Keep perservering...it will happen. They don't start kindergarden in diapers. And, by the way, I am still relying on prayers and wisdom for three grown up children and their families. I have discovered that once a mother, always a mother. I like the pictures...every one of the them. I love you! Mom
Wanda said…
I love your honesty and openness! Thank you, Jeane! Your blog is so full of refreshment and joy! It's just what I needed! I love you, dear!
Hi Jeane! Not sure if you remember me, I'm Clarita Barkman Yoder. :) Saw your blog through Janelle Stoltzfus, and came to say hello! I LOVED reading of your online cottage... Your perspective on life and mothering nearly brought tears to my eyes... so refreshing and beautiful! I will be back many times, I'm sure! Blessings to you as you fulfill your God-given role today!

Popular Posts