Chicken Run

This morning as I go outside to retrieve a 1 year old escapee daughter of mine, my neighbor Ronda and her children are standing in their driveway, announcing to me that 4 of our chickens are running footloose and fancy free around the back of the barn.


I thank them and immediately call to my 3 year old son.


"Chickens are loose!"


Within seconds, like a bull out of the shute, comes my little fearless Chicken Catcher, legs running as fast as they can with a determination and purpose to his gait.


The neighbor children decided the roundup sounded like too much fun, so they joined right in.

I am telling you, this child has a knack. If there were such a thing as Chicken Rodeos, I would have think he would have quite a future in it.


Got her!



It's just a little hard getting them over the fence when you're standing so close to it, and not able (as he did the other morning) wing 'em over by their necks like baseballs. (not to worry, they all are healthy and happy little chicks...yes, perhaps on the nervous ninny side of things, and yet to lay an egg...but overall, they seem contented!).

It's good to have your big brother around to lend a hand (but only AFTER they've been caught).

Breakfast time! Gathering in feed in the coupe.


Our neighbor and friend, Logan, is the oldest of the 'small ones', so he had 'carrying duty'.



Thank you for stopping by my little cottage to visit and see our morning excitement.
I hope you have a special kind of summer weekend!

Comments

Grace Remembers said…
Oh Jeane' you made my morning! Its funny how the silence you so long for at times can be deafening in my world. (Opposite sides of the same coin?) Your little ones so full of life and wonder brought tears to my eyes this morning:) LOVE the music too!!!! You are such a good mommy!
Anonymous said…
Let them practice this every morning and then come September, you enter them in the fairs - chicken/rooster/pig chases. With five little ones, you're bound to win at some point. (Okay, so maybe not the twins - but the earlier, the better :)

Erin
Debbie said…
I'm worn out just watching it. Your little boy sure is a good poultry wrangler; most kids were be afraid of a squacking, flailing chicken with large toenails! What a good way for the children to run off a great deal of energy and play quietly the rest of the morning. Or not:)
Debbie
betsyesbenshade said…
Love this, made my day!! That cute little boy catching chickens touches my heart!! It is amazing to see that "little knight" side of boys revealed at such a young age. I think he should enter Lampeter's greased pig chase!! I wish I was your neighbor!!
Sylvia said…
You need to put up a video next time the wranglers are out! That sounds like too much fun!
Sarah said…
Oh, I'm so glad I got to read this! I'd love to have chickens (and children) of my own one day, so it was a lot of fun to catch up on some of the morning antics happening in your part of the world.

Popular Posts