Descending Dimples and Daily Living

These are the grapes my husband has lovingly pruned and cared for in hopes to someday make homemade wine. They line our fence in the backyard.

It's the end of another 'full' Thursday. I am feeling mildly inspired to update the old blog (notice only mildly, but although weak, I'll take any measure of desire and run with it!) even though I have a few items on my evening chore list. I used to despise having to do chores. But now, it's not that I despise them, I actually enjoy feeling productive, it's just that the time of day that is most conducive to getting them done simply does not match up with the time my body is willing to offer the energy to complete them!

I've contemplated briefly the woman that Solomon describes in his book of Proverbs, in the 31st chapter. If I recall correctly, she woke up before dawn to do something or other for her family. Perhaps that was after the babies grew up and went to elementary school. Or maybe she was a morning person. In any case, I doubt she was a real woman and even if she were, I even more strongly doubt God included that chapter in order for women to compare and beat ourselves up after. We do enough of that already!


...um, just a second. I hear a child crying as though one of their limbs is about to be severed....I'll be back....


*****************
Ok, (hear my big sigh as I sink my ever expanding body back on the sofa cushion?) no limbs were dangling or bones sticking out. Rather, one of the two was simply practicing such an alarming cry, as to garner the best possible chance that he might get his heavily pregnant mother to heave herself up the stairs, and maybe then-just maybe- he and his little female sidekick might be able to convince her with winning smiles that even though they had nary a nap today, they are a pair of happy melons! His cry was convincingly real, I'll give him that...but that's about it.

I reminded them both that they are exhausted and I gave up trying to put a jammies shirt on Christopher, who much prefers to sleep in his underwear (Ok, I didn't try that long!). While their little dimpled smiles were charming, they were hardly effective enough to melt this hard heart that wants a little time to herself.


Speaking of dimples, I used to have two that appeared on my face whenever engaged in a large smile. While they were easy to spot on any given day, they made a formal appearance every fall, when it would finally be my turn to stand in front of the gray faux-painted screen and smile for the moustached, pot-bellied school picture photographer who was probably wondering how he ever got into this line of work. In any case, last night I made a startling discovery regarding these odd little indents that used to punctuate the cheeks on my face.

And what I discovered is this:


Dimples MIGRATE!!!

They migrate only to the south, I fear, never to return to their native homeland up north again.

I found this out when I turned my head around (as far as one can turn her head) in the shower, looking for a bruise from an unsightly fall I experienced yesterday. I had not looked over (and down) my shoulder for some time, and now I know it is best to never do it. I'd rather not know what lies behind. But last night I found out. And there they were, like perfectly proportioned book ends... one on each side. They had somehow slid off my face, down my back and right to where they are neatly tucked in and lodged for who knows how long. Probably until I see sweet Jesus. I suppose I will not notice the dimples then. Or most likely, they'll be left here along with tornadoes, tears and taxes.


Somehow, dimples on the lower cheeks just aren't as, well, cheery. or charming.

They did not bring a smile to my face anyway.


I know, I know. You are wondering if this line of thought is from a MILD form of 'inspiration', how much worse it could have been if I had fully been inspired!

As a side note: I have also discovered that women with enlarged chest areas while pregnant should run in the opposite direction of any dress with a large polka dot print and a large elastic band just above the belly. You might say "What woman would think that's flattering to begin with?". Well, a very kind heart gave me that dress but after seeing pictures in which there just might as well have been a large, blinking neon arrow pointing to my chestal area, even she-a motherly sort- quietly agreed that perhaps that dress would be better suited to someone with 'normal' proportions. Not even a minimizer was able to take away the maximum impact. And the rather extreme nature of this 'beast', is that they are like this now, but give it another 6 months or so (after breastfeeding) and they shrivel into what appears to be two flesh-colored tube socks with golf balls dangling at the bottom. There is just no in-between. Oh, that Eve had not bitten into that darn apple!!!


I am reading (in small chunks) a book of which I appreciate immensely. It is a book on the love of God. I look forward to posting quotes from it, but it will not happen tonight, as my level of inspiration is quickly eroding with my energy. I just felt I needed to insert this intention, more for myself than anything...I do think deeper than dimples and polka dots! (But not much!) :)


Here are a few miscellaneous daily living pictures from the past few weeks for your peering pleasure.

I hope I have not scared you off with my rather startling discoveries. I'll try to keep it PG next time. :)

It doesn't take much for us to have a little fun in our corner of the world! Just a Slip N Slide and an extremely cool older brother who makes everything just about as neato as things could be!




Anything you can do...I (christopher) want to do too! Cereal and Clifford (the Big Red Dog) is a perfect way to start the day! (And little sister is hoping for a kind act of sharing from the elder brother.)"Real Life reading" It's not always that easy...especially when you lose the attention of one of your audience members!
Dinner for two...in a kitchen still under construction.

Comments

Excuse me a minute...I need to go and wipe off the tears that are running down my face from reading your latest blog entry. I just want you to know, that IF you ever go on the circuit as a stand-up comedian...I want a front row seat. How can I ever thank you for ALLLLLLLLLLL the laughter you bring into my life. I understand laughter is very theraputic. If that is a fact, I am a healthy person! Thank you for making my day!!! Mom

Popular Posts