Big Hair


In a few days, I will be heading for Dallas, Texas. It is a State in which I have always felt I would seamlessly fit in. Or at least my hair would. In my little brain Texas has always equaled big hair, as it did on the show Dallas.


Ever since I was old enough to hold a brush, I have had the innate urge to pump, tease and spray. The decade of the 1980's did not help my obsession. It was fuel to the fire. Nothing but Rave, Level 5 hairspray would do for my tired, tweed colored hair, never mind that it would leave a generous coating of white residue at my roots, causing a vicious cycle of oily roots and teasing frenzies. (And I thought I was a victim of dandruff!). I particularly admired my friend Jessica's natural curls and how she would so deftly do her bangs in the morning. When I would stay overnight, I would use her toilet as a seat in her peach colored bathroom to watch and learn the art of the big bang (and this too was an evolutionary process). Her little round faux-wooden hair brush with thick bristles carefully created the volume and as its partner, Aqua Net assisted in achieving success to great heights. I sat in a Aqua Net-induced daze and soaked this all in with great admiration (come to think of it, this may have something to do with why I was academically-challenged). When it was my turn at the sink, I showed her a trick or two myself, as my lifeless hair held nary a natural wave, but with a little electricity and a whole lot of Rave, I was able to create quite the optical illusion. (For those who do not know me, the picture above is NOT of me, however I would have, at one time, given my right arm for her hair. And earrings).

I think all of this is why I instinctively wince and run for cover when a drop of mist, snow or rain drops from the Heavens. Back in the day, it was a fatal face-off between water and Rave....and water always won, creating a sticky, hard mess in the after-battle scene. I still feel a twinge of dejection when I watch a movie love scene between man and woman caught in the rain and he grabs her head in his hands and kisses her while running his hands down her hair. It still makes me feel uncomfortable, because I always thought if that had been me, the scene would have looked a whole lot different. Imagine with me; After the heavens would have opened, I would have started sprinting for cover (trying to hide the panic), but he would have playfully grabbed me and reached to embrace me...but Oh! Horrors of horrors! There was a ferret with hard, jagged fur atop his lover's (my) head!!! How did it get there, he wonders?!?? I will cast that ugly mutt off her fragile skull, says my hunky lover. But as he goes to swap this odd looking animal off my head, he suddenly and shockingly realizes that it's...oh my gosh!... its her HAIR! Overcome with a sweet but alcoholic scent that has invaded the space between us, he pushes away in disgust and says "What are you?" and leaves me standing, dripping Rave in the rain.


I still shudder at the feel of rejection. I hate rain scenes. I didn't even touch on the mascara factor. I'll leave that for another time.


One more thing...If banana clips ever make a reappearance on the hair fashion scene, I'm your girl. And if you ever decide to sweep one side of your hair up in a comb and leave the other side down, I would never, ever not take you seriously. Most of all, if you still buy mega-hold, volumizing or any kind of hairspray, you are welcome at my door any time, night or day.Consider yourself "my new best friend".

Now that you all know how shallow I can be, I will conclude my commentary on this fine Tuesday. Let me say before I go, that I feel I'm going "home" to Texas, not because of my hair that still craves the company of other voluminous styles, but because part of what 'home' means to me lives down there. My "little" sister and her husband reside in Dallas, and I am most anxiously awaiting to make myself at home in her sweet presence once again!


It is my other little sister's birthday today and Oh, how I wish I could wrap my arms around her and give her a big old hug! She is so precious to me. I have a great sense that she is going to make a brilliant impact in whatever of her many talents God decides to showcase first. She is a brilliant, beautiful young woman--and I get to be her big sister! Happy Birthday, my dear Bean.


I hope you have a happy kind of day...with a contented fullness maybe even some loving teasing from someone who knows you well.

Comments

do they still make "rave?" i can still smell it! i love this post, it's hilarious!!! if i were you, i would have been laughing sooo hard at MYSELF as i was writing it! i don't think anyone makes me laugh as hard as i do, pathetic i know!!!!! want to come over next Friday, the 2nd?
Heather said…
laughing without ceasing!

Popular Posts