Small Town, USA

I know this may sound odd, and perhaps uncharacteristically melancholy for such a sanguine spirit, but lately I feel like I am in a state of grieving the nation I grew up loving.
The news speaks of the end of space exploration (of which was once such a source of pride to our nation and it's children, of whom I was one), the inability of our government to find a solution to an out-of-control spending problem and the fact that nothing is booming, businesses are boarding up.

My heart is rather saddened, and my mind fights believing that my children will know a much different landscape living in the same country I grew up in. Good can come from hard times, I know, but as a mama who wants for her children the very best, it's just kinda hard and leaves me a little downcast deep inside.

Until last night when my spirit was suprisingly uplifted.

We made a rare foray out into the general public by way of attendance at a small town festival located in the heart of the farming communities around us. It was a true down-home affair, with  a plethora of folks from all walks coming together to enjoy life. It was as we were walking back to our van, past the veteran's cemetery with the flag flowing in the breeze against a brilliant blue sky that I realized this:

America's strength is not found in it's Capitol, or in the hallowed halls of the Supreme Court (although much power is bestowed to it).America's strength, it's resilience, it's honor and it's spirit is found in the small towns that dot these fruited plains.

The thought almost left me choked up and grateful that we decided at the last minute to make the effort to be there, taking part of the spirit of the land I love. There were so many endearing scenes of our children, and of the spirit of that small town, that I felt it hard to leave too many out. Thus, consider yourself warned! There are quite a few pictures, and I will never know if you clicked over to Mabel Mayberry's Blog for Blind Knitters halfway through (so don't feel bad!).









The couple sitting to our right during dinner/bingo. It's hard to say for sure, but I think they might have lost that lovin' feeling a while back....at least they still play Bingo together.




Keeping a wincing eye on the sky for the parachuter to land from his jump from the plane.
This was BIG times to our crew!


Of course, after "winning" the one game they were allowed to play, they chose THEE most annoying sounding trumpets I have ever heard. All three of them picked one. I tried my darndest to convince them of the large inflated crayons, but to no avail. They have since mysteriously gone missing.


First roller coaster ride ever. A hug for luck and they were on their way!


Passionate and Pensive







Oh beautiful for spacious skies
for amber waves of grain
for purple mountain majesty
above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good
with brotherhood
from sea to shining sea.


O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years

Thine alabaster cities gleam,
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self control,
Thy liberty in law

~Katherine Bates


Comments

Popular Posts