Colored Lights



White lights adorn our Christmas tree, the swag that hangs over the front window and the little artificial tree in the corner of the dining room. I like them, my husband prefers them, but I love colored lights the best of all. I think it's because my Grandma Horst had a strand of red lights woven on her greenery on the mantle of the big brick fireplace in her cozy family room and my Grandma Martin's Christmas tree was always light up with strands of colored lights...and because of them (in large part), my childhood Christmases couldn't have been any sweeter. So that is why colored lights endear me to them...they instantly take me back to a special, cozy and secure world that was ablaze in color and sounds of the season, and most of all love unconditional.


Above is a picture of my 'monument' to childhood Christmases...the colored lights that deck our hall (or stairwell...but hall sounds merrier!). I've always hung the Christmas cards by little clothespins (found at AC Moore.) on a wide ribbon (thanks to my mom's ingenuity. Thank you, Mom!). It is my FAVORITE time of year to see the Mailman coming to my door around 11:30am. I can't wait to open any cards we've received, but I usually do so I can pour myself a cup of coffee and savor the limited days of less-junk-more-personal mail that comes to our front door.


My little guy has his own favorite Christmas card and he points to it and grunts (which I translate as "Please, Oh, Beautiful and selfless mother who keeps me alive with love and nourishment on a daily, momentary basis, you are almost a goddess...would you please retrieve that card for me to enjoy?". I'm SURE that is exactly what he is saying. And yes, I know that you can teach your child sign language, which is a very smart idea, but I just haven't). It is a card from his beloved Mamaw and Papaw Martin. He opens it up and just stares and smiles and sometimes pumps his chubby little legs, which means (another translation) he is terribly excited and enthused.




I hope he (and his little sister/sidekick) are as 'enthused' when they sit on Santa's lap at the mall today. I'm making this trip completely selfishly. They have no clue who Santa is, and yet...I want a picture for the books.

Comments

that picture of Christopher is precious!!! I can just see, (and hear) him now, being all excited. I love the way you describe Christmas, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! Well, look at that....it's THURSDAY already and I never made it to your house! How about the first week of January? What a great way to begin the new year!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
Merry Christmas!!!I wish it would snow here in Carolina. Your hallway looks great with the stocking and garland and colored lights. I had about 4 of your entries to read to catch up but enjoyed every word of them. God Bless you and your family. Love, Deva

Popular Posts