On the Corner





This past weekend we had the gift of going away sans children, thanks to the loving sacrifice made by their grandparents! In case you are wondering, while I felt a tinge of guilt whilst slipping out my mom's back door in a manner of a highly trained sleuth, nary a tear was shed as I made happy tracks outta there! I was footloose and fancy free!

We sojourned to St. Michaels in Maryland, a lovely quaint little town nestled nicely in the Chesapeake Bay. There were countless picture opportunities, however, our camera had recently been a participant in a baptismal service at the Church of Dog Dish (courtesy of Reverend 2 Year Old). Thus, the memories I hold are all in my heart. And only there.

I know not everyone feels the same of their own spouse, but I am extremely and humbly grateful to say I am married to a man I genuinely LIKE and whose company I prefer above all others. We do, however, have our differences which add a dash of spice to our relationship. Not only are our personalities different, but there is also the foundational differences between men and women...and even in the best of circumstances (like a romantic weekend away), they can raise to the surface quite quickly!


Curt was quite accommodating as I meandered in and out of several of the town's colorful and cozy boutiques, a pasttime that is of my distant past (If I'm in stores, I am in and out at lightening speeds out of necessity). In one particular clothing store, I took a gander at the merchandise-showing him a t-shirt I thought my stepson might like-and quickly decided I did not 'need' anything from their vast array of sportswear and touristy T-shirts in the back of the store. As i was making my way up front, I took note that my husband was no longer in the store, and must be watching the world go by in one of the two rocking chairs in the front (assuming a typical waiting tradition among those of his gender). When I walked out, he was no where to be found. The store was smallish, but had windows lining the entire width of it, allowing an easy view of all parts of its interior. Now I might mention here that the weather was hardly ideal. Rather, it was increasingly COLD and DAMP. And at this particular moment, the wind was what one might call brisk. I was wearing a fashionable (but hardly winter wind gust-worthy) bright red coat..no gloves, no scarf. I stood there on the corner (this was a corner store), pacing to and fro...looking in the store front window now and again.

After nearly 15 minutes, my mind started to go in dramatic directions (not necessarily unusual). I figured if he had keeled over within the store, there would have been a bit of a commotion as people gathered around him, the ambulance pulling up to the store front...but all I saw was other couples leisurely coming in and out of the store...laughing and enjoying each other. Even so, my eyes scanned the floor of the store to make sure I didn't see his sneaker-clad feet laying there. It almost made me fearful. I then thought perhaps he had made a surprise dash to the small Acme right across the street to purchase a disposable digital camera for me. In trying to find the perfect camera, he lost track of time, and then when he realized I was probably wondering about him, the line at checkout was so long...but he was determined to please his camera-less wifey, so he stood there. But no such digital camera-carrying husband came out the Acme door. Then I grew frustrated. The longer time went on, the more aggravated I got. I'm thinking such ridiculous thoughts such as: "Here I thought we had a tremendous marriage....and he leaves me here on the streets of St. Michaels????" and "The purveyors of this boutique are probably now suspicious that I'm the new town prostitute, as I've been pacing this street corner for the past 20 minutes." (of course, I should have taken into consideration that I had received nary a nod of interest from any of the exiting male patrons...perhaps it was my 'mom jeans' paired with a conservative black sweater and big old red coat and fabric Vera Bradley big bag (given to me last Christmas) flung over my shaking-with-cold shoulder. I suppose I did not fit the typical prostitute look, but then I would suppose those in St. Michael would need to be a bit more subtle than most). ANYHOO...I digress.

As I discovered from my 248th surveillance of the store, ALL THAT TIME my husband was hunched down in a chair behind the half-wall that led to the shoe section, reading a Chesapeake Bay magazine. I marched into the store, radiating annoyance (along with a coordinating nose and coat) and said "What are you doing?!?!?! ' as softly yet firmly as I could. (I think he felt me coming before he saw me). He looks up at me and starts laughing, which only increases my frustration. He says "I've been being a good hubby, reading and waiting, waiting, waiting. I've gotta admit I was thinking 'boy, she must REALLLY like this store!!".

So there you have it....even in the BEST of circumstances, our pesty little differences can sure create quite a stir! (He's still laughing. As for me, I've nearly regained feeling in my nose and fingers, and my unfounded fear of being abandoned in St. Michaels has largely diminished! :)

I'm sure you have your own story...be it with a friend, father, brother or spouse! (and if you're male, I would suspect you would have even more stories!!!)

I find it funny (now). We were able to move on from my "Lady of the Corner" experience and enjoyed a fun, refreshing and relaxing weekend! I am utterly grateful for every second of our 5 years of marriage. I respect, admire and of course, love you, my dear!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
My Love,

What a wonderful story!!! I must say that I love you more EVERY DAY.
And I do want to thank you for the MANY chances to read while you shop. I also want to thank you for the NAP I was able to recieve while in that store on the way home.(no need to say how long I waited). I'm simply grateful that I was not purchased as part of a lawn ornimnet set, as I slept soundly in that outdoor chair.

On behalf of the many "great hubbies" out there, who spend more time waiting outside of stores,for thier wives, then they send commuting to work, we all say; "YOU ARE WORTH WAITING FOR!!!"
Jana said…
You two are too funny. You're just gonna have to name your next kiddo Michael.
Deva said…
How funny!!!! I can just see you with the red nose and all pacing back and forth, looking a tad bit nervous but trying to seem normal. Great story!
Cheffie-Mom said…
Awwww, what a sweet comment from Anonymous - I'm guessing this is from your hubby! (: You guys are too cute!
OH MY DEAR FRIEND!!!!! Can we come over this week? I will bring food this time! Wed.-Friday works for us!
Oh my dear friend, I want to hug you and talk the day away!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
Funny story. It's my first visit to your blog, but it was recommended by a friend. Just stopping by to say hello!

-FringeGirl
Anonymous said…
Just wanted to let you know that I'm hosting a give-away today on the domestic fringe.

It's a book designed to help parents foster a love for reading in their children.

Enter by midnight Sunday to win.

-FringeGirl
Anonymous said…
I love reading all of your stories, Jeane, you know how to captivate your readers attention and you are so very funny!
Anonymous said…
Jeane, I read your entire blog and I just loved it so much! You have made me laugh, cry and become a better woman, wife, Christian and perhaps in the future a better Mom! You are such a gift, you have so much to offer people and I thank God today that you have shared all that you have on your blog! God Bless You Jeane richly with all the blessings of being real to others and you shine with the love of Jesus!
Wanda said…
Beautiful Jeane,

I just wanted to say that I check your blog often. I love all of your stories and the way you write each one of them!

Keep writing!

Love, Wanda

Popular Posts