Free from Perfection.

If you read the post before this one, you are aware we went to our first "parenting support group", a class of conversation and learning based off the Love and Logic book. I have nothing to report back as it was more introductory than educational.  For an ice breaker, our facilitator had us pull off a few squares of toilet paper and use each one to share a truth about ourselves. I pulled only two and my descriptors were:

1. I used to be a really fun person.
2. I like to be in control

Indeed, God has a sense of humor! The woman who is driven by a sense of control is sitting in a parenting class because she's finally admitted she doesn't have it. (Also, that fun person? She is still tucked in there, not too far from the surface. I just wish she'd come out more often around the dinner and bedtime hours. And the weekends. And summertime).

***

So... while there was not much to take and share with you from the introductory course, I have been chewing on the incredibly thick-with-wisdom text message sent recently from one of my dearest, lifelong friends, Annie (of whom I named my daughter after). I like her because she's hysterical, says it like it is and stays reverently dedicated to the Truth. {Her blog is amazing. Find it here}. Before I pass her good words along, let me share this definition of the "gospel" as a backdrop:


The ‘gospel’ is the good news that through Christ the power of God’s kingdom has entered history to renew the whole world. When we believe and rely on Jesus’ work and record (rather than ours) for our relationship to God, that kingdom power comes upon us and begins to work through us.”– Tim Keller
Thank you, Timmy K. Now, here are some more Truth-packed words from Annie P. Take your time, sip some tea as you let it seep in:

   If the gospel welcomes me out of hiding, I can face areas that I am struggling in with hope! My identity isn't wrapped up in how well I am doing as a mother and how well my kids are responding to me. 

   Conversely, it isn't my identity that I am struggling with little (and the not so little) human relationships. 

 That conversation off the table, now I can ask for advice, help, encouragement and tips from others without feeling like I am less of a person. I can lean on Christ for my identity and lean on the body of Christ, (and maybe a professional!) opening myself up to their aide, help and prayers without feeling like I failed at something I was supposed to do perfectly! It's freedom all the way around. 

  Our parenting, (just like our marriages) are what God uses, (because we are a mess and they are a mess) to aide us and perfect us in our sanctification (conformed to the image of His Son stuff). Doing this and practically every other Human relationship is tough stuff because it's broken. Christ's work of redemption gives me the grace I need to learn, grow, succeed and fail without it being attached to who I am as a person. What a grace!! I am so thankful for sisters who are moms who are learning the gospel with me and that we can remind each other every day of its deep riches. 

Amen and amen. It is of utmost importance to not confuse our identity with our successes or failures in any of our pursuits...relational or otherwise. It's "freedom all the way around" to release the pursuit of perfection, and leave that to the only One who is.


photo credit: Marilou Shaffer



Comments

Judy said…
Yes! that last photo/saying is absolute and complete truth!
Enjoyed your share as always...I am currently reading Anything, by Jennie Allen (per your recommendation) and I have loved every page thus far! So, thanks for that :-)

Until next time
Hugs!

Popular Posts